Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Dead Roof

The living roof had some leaks, probably due to the jigsaw puzzle work I did with scrap plywood. I fixed a pond liner over the plywood but there were a few low spots and water was sitting in gaps where plywood pieces weren't flush. Somehow water was finding its way through and there were a couple wet spots on the wood supports whenever it rained. I decided to strip off all the dirt, straw, and gravel and put up a new roof; I left the pond liner just to have a waterproof barrier underneath b/c the shingles aren't the best and I'm sure they're going to leak a little. After I cleared the living roof, I cut tenons into two poles and lay a beam w/ mortises on the ends across it. I built a basic 2x4 frame off of the beam and covered it with shingles. Here are some pictures of the finished roof and surrounding area.

Newly shingled roof

Goat pavilion with cob wall and chicken run in foreground

Cob wall and Goat Pavilion after taking off glasses

No comments:

Post a Comment